Sunday, September 10, 2017

"The Holiness of God" book story

I first posted this on Facebook, but want to connect it here as well. One evening last week, I was talking with my husband Darryl O'Connor about how R.C. Sproul's book, "The Holiness of God," helped me understand my need for a Savior. The very next day, I was shelving at Wonder Book and ran across this study guide. It was 95 cents because it was already written in. I read some of the notes and thought, "This person really understands!" I turned to the title page--and gasped. My friend Cathy Charnley--maid of honor in my wedding, and my friend for 30 years--died of cancer a year ago. Here is her beautiful voice speaking heart to heart with her Lord and mine. Now she sees Him face to face.
     My job at the bookstore isn't prestigious or highly paid. But I believe in its mission of rescuing books, and really enjoy my coworkers. And moments like this happen nowhere else.
   I am writing a novel, THE BROKEN BIBLE (which I hope will become the first in a series) about a Christian bookbinder who solves mysteries. I've enjoyed Kate Carlisle's Bibliophile Mystery Series and want to add my own works, with a Christian emphasis, to this subgenre of cozy mystery fiction. (Bibles often yield amazing stories. Have you heard about the Wicked Bible?)  I like to repair books that aren't particularly rare or valuable, but that have great meaning to their owners--and I like to tell their stories.  This study guide to R.C. Sproul's book is one of those stories.





1 comment:

  1. Such tender and personal affection from God truly leave me in awe. Wow Tawn!

    ReplyDelete