Wednesday, May 16, 2018

A Massive Tome

When my coworker asked me to combine these four volumes of D&D into one volume, I tried to talk him out of it. A huge, Family-Bible-sized book is really impractical for most purposes—heavy, bulky, awkward to handle. But he was perfectly comfortable with that and truly wanted an ancient-looking, massive tome. It seems that massive tomes are becoming my specialty.
Cotton flannel back liner over raised bands, with black linen endband strip.

The marbled text block support will prevent the heavy text block from sagging.

I cut out the section for the chain holder.

Perfect paper, wrong color, so I dyed it with leather dye. And added many coats of decoupage so the dye won't come off on hands (or turn green if it gets wet).

Sunken cords.

I tried many dye combinations.

Printed marbled endpapers with linen hinges, sewn in.

The finished book, with clasp.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a labor intensive project. Looking forward to seeing what you do.

    ReplyDelete