Friday, April 6, 2018

The Martyr's Mirror

When a gentleman from a local Historical Society asked me to repair this massive tome, I hesitated. First, I asked for help from a well-known conservator with a long career's worth of knowledge and experience. He kindly sent me a clutch of photographs from two different Martyrs' Mirrors that he had restored. I knew I couldn't replicate his beautiful work, which included making new brass-studded leather straps, the complete removal and replacement of the corner bosses, and other expert restorations. Because he was unavailable due to his institutional responsibilities, this repair was up to me after all. I carefully examined the book and stated in writing what I could (and could not) accomplish, and the trustees gave the go-ahead. My goal was to make it user-friendly and save original materials as much as possible, which is my goal with all my work. 
The cords were broken and spine detached.

The metal corner bosses had been nailed in, and the nails pounded down on the other side. I couldn't get them up. Remnants of the leather straps are visible.

I added strong thread to the existing cords, to attach them to the boards.

Getting the spine off (so that I could do the structural work underneath) was a time-consuming task.

Original endbands were hand-sewn over cords and then stuck on.

Endbands mended with linen, to be reapplied.

Heavy cotton flannel liner forms a strong attachment to the cover and protects the old, original cords.

Testing dyes to match the cover leather.

The original spine was reapplied over new leather. Now the covers are secure. The unseen extra layer of back liner provides strength, since I did not try to replace the leather straps.

This new leather looked so nice I didn't want to cover it with the old shabby spine at first. But the overall effect is better with the old spine on.

I added new fabric spine liners but left two of the old ones in place.
The original printer's waste cover liners were pasted back down.

I had to invent a support for the foredge, since the clasp hung down after the cover was put on. This enabled me to work on the spine while the book was clamped in place.

The view from the interior of the support, with clasp hanging down. 


1 comment: