Monday, February 21, 2011

Middletown Heritage Society presentation


Last Wednesday I had the privilege of speaking to the Middletown Historical Society about restoring books--the "why" as well as the "how." My husband helped me tote bags and boxes of books to display. (I always bring too much stuff.) Lacking Power Point skills, I wanted a hands-on" presentation. I showed them several of the books on this blog, including my prized Samuel Wesley, and told them book stories. The latest story came to me the morning of the talk. A woman called who told me about rescuing an unwanted box of Bibles at a local auction. No one had bid on them, so they were headed for the trash. She and her husband bought the box for $2. Upon investigation, they discovered that one of the Bibles was a Daniel Webster Bible, 1832. They put it up for sale on eBay and watched in astonishment as the bidding war began. It went to a person in Philadelphia for.... $2,100.00. I would love to make a discovery like that! I appreciated the responsive audience and we had a good time! Here's a link to the article that came out in the Frederick News-Post before my talk. http://www.fredericknewspost.com/sections/local/communities/middletown.htm On another note, eventually I hope to make new business cards that include this black-and-white book photo by my daughter Liana.

No comments:

Post a Comment