Thursday, June 17, 2010

Paperback to Hardback


Sometimes a bookbinder just wants to have fun. Or at least a bookbinder's idea of fun. When I started reading this used paperback, pages began falling out. How annoying! I cut off the covers, reinforced the spine with sawn-in cords, glue, and new mull, and gave it new boards. I decided to practice the quick-and-easy way of creating insets, so I cut a piece of typing paper the same size as the paperback cover illustration and pasted it onto the board. After pressing and drying, I cut around the edges and peeled away the paper, bringing up a layer of board with it, creating the impression for the inset. After covering the boards with black bookcloth, gluing the inset, and finishing the rebinding, I finished reading my mystery.

No comments:

Post a Comment