Saturday, February 20, 2010

Antiquing bookcloth











It's been a while since my last post due to snow shoveling, extra hours at work, and a rebacking that has been more of a challenge than I anticipated. So I'm going into the archives for this entry. For Christmas one year, I offered a free book repair to a friend, who brought me her family Bible. I sponged Venetian Gold paint onto white buckram bookcloth and crumpled it to attain the same look as the original (unsalvageable) antiqued cover; made an inset from the cover illustration; and lifted the illustrated endpapers, covering the joint with brown Moriki tissue.
(1) Photo top: Endpapers, lifted from original cover and re-used; (2) middle, the Bible before repair (note the greenish tone of the brittle, unsalvageable cover); (3) bottom left, the antiqued buckram; (4) bottom right, the finished Bible.

No comments:

Post a Comment